Paige Kauffman blog header  photo about_zpsc4fe7b2d.png photo thoughts_zpsddd0b078.png photo cooking_zps7baff10a.png photo diy_zps91ee6873.png photo travel_zps77e5f92d.png photo beauty_zpsa9f91517.png photo music_zps2fe0bec5.png

Thursday, December 24, 2015

Dipped Gingersnaps


This month, we celebrated my Grandma Peirce's 80th birthday! While scattering old pictures of grandma and I on the tables, it reminded me of a little adventure she and I had a few years ago.



It was Christmas time and I was probably nine years old. Since we had the whole day to spend together and I had never tried gingerbread before, we decided to bake and decorate gingerbread cookies from scratch! Five hours and over 100 gingerbread men later, I took my first bite-- and concluded that they tasted awful. I'm pretty sure she and I just sat there for ten minutes and surveyed the mess we had gotten ourselves into.....but ended up laughing and realized we had a blast making memories, even if the situation wasn't ideal.

I'm certainly no food blogger and will willingly admit I'm not at the point in my culinary career where I can whip up my own recipes. That's why I turned to my mom for help when choosing which family Christmas recipe to share this year!! These gingersnaps had a much better impression on me than the gingerbread men from years ago, and they're a lot softer than what you would traditionally imagine.

This recipe is adapted from a Taste of Home Dec/Jan 1997 issue. Enjoy!

Cookie Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1-1/2 cups vegetable oil
2 eggs
1/2 cup molasses
4 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
Additional sugar for rolling

Frosting Ingredients:
2 (12 oz.) Ghirardelli white chocolate chips
1/4 cup shortening

Begin by combining sugar and oil in a mixing bowl.


Add eggs one at a time and beat until well incorporated. Stir in molasses.



In a large separate bowl, combine flour, ginger, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. Gradually add dry ingredients to creamed and mix well.



Set aside a small bowl of sugar. Take out a ball of dough using a medium cookie scoop. Mold the dough in your hands and roll in extra sugar. Place on baking sheets and bake at 350º for 9-11 minutes (the less you bake them, the softer they are!) Let cool on a wire rack.



For the frosting, melt chips and shortening in microwave or on the stove, stirring until smooth.


Dip the cookies halfway in the chocolate (or drizzle on top) and place on wax paper.



Buy this cute 'Merry and Bright' platter here (originally purchased at Faith & Life Bookstore)








Merry Christmas and happy baking!

His Biblical Beauty,
Paige

Like this recipe? Pin it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips