Paige Kauffman blog header  photo about_zpsc4fe7b2d.png photo thoughts_zpsddd0b078.png photo cooking_zps7baff10a.png photo diy_zps91ee6873.png photo travel_zps77e5f92d.png photo beauty_zpsa9f91517.png photo music_zps2fe0bec5.png

Friday, July 24, 2015

Mary Lou's Stuff


Growing up, my parents were both very successful in their careers. When I was six weeks old, my mom had to return to work cutting hair, which left me at my new babysitter, Mary Lou's, home for the day. And let me tell you, I adored Mary Lou. Their family welcomed me from the start and I quickly became one of their own. I'm thankful for all of the life lessons she taught me about kindness, sharing, responsibility, and love.





One of the best things I remember about Mary Lou was her excellent cooking. Being a typical picky five year-old, I may not have always appreciated it...especially because we weren't allowed to leave the table until our plates were empty! However, there was one dish I couldn't resist. It was simple and consisted of rice and beef. Now, if your picky daughter actually likes something other than chicken strips or french fries, it's probably wise to get the recipe. That's exactly what my mom did, and in my home it became known as 'Mary Lou's Stuff.' I hope you enjoy fixing this meal for your family and making memories you can pass down, too.

Begin by drizzling olive oil into a skillet and turning on your stovetop to medium heat.


Add 1 cup of long grain rice to the skillet and stir with a spatula until lightly browned.





Pour 2 cups of water in with the rice and bring to a boil.



Sprinkle 1 tsp. of both ground cumin and tomato bouillon in the rice. Turn heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 25 minutes.



Meanwhile, brown 1-1 1/2 lbs. of ground beef (I cook mine in the microwave). Take one package of your favorite taco seasoning and mix as directed with water in a saucepan.



Combine meat with the taco seasoning in the saucepan and stir until incorporated. Cook for 5 minutes.



This is what the hamburger and rice should look like when cooked properly and is ready to be combined.





Pour the meat onto the rice and mix together.



Annnnd you're all done!!! Serve with shredded cheddar cheese and tortilla chips. Make it a meal out and serve corn and black beans on the side.



For a printable recipe card, click here.


When I think of Mary Lou, the passage Proverbs 31 comes to mind. Thank you for working hard for your family and pouring everything you have into all of the kids you've watched over the years! You tamed this little diva and contributed to a major part of my life. You're a wonderful example of a Proverbs 31 woman. I love you, Mary Lou!!! :)

"She speaks with wisdom and faithful and instruction is on her tongue. She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness." -Proverbs 31:26-27

His Biblical Beauty,
Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips